We are in a time when people always think and expect of finding love in the most unexpected places, just as the lyrics of the song goes. People crossed the deepest seas, walked the farthest places and conquered the highest mountains to find that elusive affection from another human being.
We even searched the wonderful worldwide web and added a thousand friends to our Facebook and Twitter accounts just for the simple reason – that maybe someday that one true love will show up and validate our sense of worth as a person.
But having said all these, we can’t find the one we are searching for if we are not ready for it. We can’t force people to love us. Life is not going to be the way we want it to be, if we are staying in the same old, poor thinking. We need to deal with our own real enemy.
There is a Universal Law that says, “As Within, So Without.” It is the mirror of our life. It means that we are reflecting in our outside world what we feel from inside.
How can we truly love a person when we don’t even know how to love ourselves. And vise versa. It works both ways. We can’t receive what we can’t give to other people. If we feel so miserable and hopeless about life, we will see sadness everywhere. If we think we are not worthy of love – you bet, that is so right. It is the simple rule of life.
There is something in us that we need to change from within. If we don’t have the courage to leave a bad relationship, defend ourselves from all kinds of abuse or can’t stand our ground against people, then there is something wrong somewhere.
So, how can we empower and raise ourselves higher?
Here are the 17 bullet points to ponder:
- forgetting the past mistakes and forgiving the people we hurt and who hurt us back.
- not beating ourselves up for the bad decisions we have made in life.
- putting our needs on top of our priorities
- giving ourselves the needed respect and kindness
- making our life better each passing day (not making it perfect)
- taking care of ourselves and finding the ways to make us happy
- cultivating creativity through hobbies and passions
- being financially independent
- controlling our emotions and not letting problems to weigh us down
- not sacrificing for the sake of other people’s happiness
- being more loving and compassionate
- having more faith in God, ourselves and humanity
- not pleasing other people
- not taking things personally
- trusting our own intuition in making decisions
- not giving up on our own identity
- finding our own HERO
In other words, we need to find the love and make changes from within – so we can start loving ourselves once again. Because, the more we put an effort in taking care of our own needs, the happier we become and the more we can radiate love to other people.
Self-love is not about being selfish or being a narcissist. It’s not about putting ourselves on a pedestal. It’s about giving us the importance that we rightly deserve. Because when we do, love will find its way back to us.
It always does.